Rae McDaniel is on the show and I’m really excited for you to listen to my conversation with them. We talked about how to be a better ally to the transgender and non-binary community. Plus, Rae has the most fascinating upbringing story which they shared during our time together.
Rae McDaniel is a non-binary gender and sex therapist-turned-coach who works with transgender/non-binary/questioning folks feeling lost while transitioning their gender identity. Our conversation was interesting and informative.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Rae’s upbringing by parents who were Christian-missionary puppeteers (I had so many questions!). (4:17)
- Their experience coming out as queer in an unsupportive environment. (7:34)
- How the narrative that gender transition has to include suffering and anxiety is damaging to transgender and cisgender folks alike. (12:19)
- Rae’s perspective about anti-transgender and anti-nonbinary laws being pushed in legislation today. (16:54)
- What it means to be a good ally to the transgender and nonbinary community, plus trans-affirming language and the gender spectrum. (25:00)
- What to do (and not do) when someone comes out to you. (34:10)
- Advice for parents who suspect their child might be trans or nonbinary or their child has come out to them, and their feeling a bit lost. (36:15)